For Aunt Lucille

On Saturday we had the memorial service for my Aunt Lucille, who passed away January 20th. I thought I would share it here, as a way to further honor her and share a little bit with those who could not be there. Not directly related to homeschool, of course, but somewhat applicable just the same, as I learned a lot from her. *** When I bring Aunt Lucille to mind, she is in her kitchen. She is brewing iced tea, or a meal for our weekly Sunday dinner. Wiping counters, adjusting the small things, she is caring for her corner of the universe. In this, she cares for us, for me.

Her step is light and she talks with me, setting out silverware, plates, food for the crowd.

Across that kitchen counter, we had many conversations over the years. Sometimes, it was small talk. Other times I’d share a problem I was having, and she’d listen. Always she’d tell me: “It will all work out”.

Whether or not I was able to fully believe those words she spoke, I was soothed.

Aunt Lucille cared faithfully for so many who stepped into her home, either to visit or live. When I was 17, I came for what was intended to be a three-week visit; I ended up living with her and Uncle Bob on and off for a decade.

Aunt Lucille did not just tolerate me; she encouraged me, took me places with her. She drove me back and forth to my first job, and then took me to take my drivers test, three times. With her support, I got my GED and started community college. When the Pilates Studio was being developed, she suggested I get my teaching certification, so I did, and then started teaching at the studio.

In her life and in her patience, her abiding with me, I saw God’s love reflected.

Each morning she sat on the sunporch, Bible in hand, or My Utmost for His Highest. She could always be found there. It was part of how she lived her faith: each morning she cast her cares before God.

She gave me books to read, introducing me to some of my favorite authors. Aunt Lucille was always in the midst of a book, and I loved to chat with her about what she was reading.

One day, standing on the sunlit tile of her kitchen, she taught me her method for house-cleaning.

“Take it piece by piece”, she said, “Dust and wash all the furniture and glass from floor to ceiling, until it is done. Then move on to the next section.”

I had little interest in cleaning, and you could tell by my bedroom; you usually couldn’t see the floor.

Now, twenty years later, I see habits of hers reflected in my own. Seeds she planted 20 years ago, finally taken root.

Aunt Lucille would sit in her living room, dulcimer in lap, everyone singing together. Or she would play guitar, or piano, always singing in harmony. Her harmonies were perfectly pitched, consistent and floating - much like Lucille herself. She added so much, without overpowering.

I remember sitting around the living room, or the dining table, discussing the kingdom of God with Aunt Lucille and others. She loved these conversations, and seemed delighted by both the mystery of God, and the nearness of God in Christ. She was able to explore the depths, while keeping herself grounded in the moment and the at times absurd experience of being human. I remember a lot of laughter.

Recently I came across a greeting card, given to me by Lucille 15 years ago, as I prepared to leave for college. It read, “We will always leave the light on for you.”

This well-captures how I will always remember Aunt Lucille. She left the light on for me, and many others. For that, I will always be thankful.  

Comments

Popular Posts